Thursday, January 7, 2010

Science Damn It!














My initial impression is that the P90X workout is no joke. I no longer have any doubt that it is scientifically proven to either get me in shape or eliminate me from the gene pool. I attempted to complete the "Chest & Back" routine, which clocks in about an hour. I made it through 35 minutes before my entire upper body had succumbed to exhaustion. I nearly fell on my face while trying to pick myself up off the ground. My arms went to jello.

They hammered me with about 5 varieties of push ups and a few different pull up grips. There may have been a few other things in there, but I doubt my mind was functioning well enough to remember. It was tough.

The instructional video works like circuit training. There are a few one minute breaks, but most activities transition to the next one within about 10 seconds. It really kept the heart rate going and I worked up a decent sweat considering that I was "performing" strengthening exercise more than doing cardio work.

Rather than giving up immediately (a 35 minute workout isn't a bad place to start), I popped in the "Extreme Abs" disc as they recommended. I was proud to make it through about 5 of the 15 minutes before my lower back said it was time to quit.

I showered and went grocery shopping...I haven't researched the p90x protein bars/powders that they recommend for post workout recovery. I imagine that I can find a cheaper, better alternative that isn't associated with a money-making DVD enterprise.

Note the lack of beer


























After that it was dinner time, and time to tally up the caloric intake, which looks insanely low when I don't drink. This might explain how I was able to lose weight in the past without giving up alcohol.













Salmon, one yellow onion, broccoli, soy sauce, 3 cloves of garlic, and a V8.

That puts my estimated caloric intake for today at 817, which means I'm going to have to start eating breakfast and snacking a bit. My Protein/Carb/Fat distribution was 49/30/21 vs the 50/30/20 recommended. It feels strange eating so deliberately, but it's kind of fun...for day 1 anyway.

On to day two...


















4 comments:

  1. Just finished gorging myself on a #8 at Carl's Jr consisting of a "$6" guacomole bacon cheeseburger, fries, and poweraid. Burger alone is more than 1000 calories. 'Cause that's how gangters eat...

    ReplyDelete
  2. The Kardashian family has great taste in food, including fast food and cake.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Also, based on those pictures, I think you should shoot to lose more like 30 pounds.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Based on your comments, I think you should shut the fuck up.

    You're not exactly the image of fitness yourself, you gluttonous asshole.

    ReplyDelete